Saturday, January 14, 2012

Time Difference

Of the many differences between the culture of Honduras and the culture we are accustomed to in the US, the view of time is, for me, at the top of the list of the widest culture gaps.  Before we came, I had some knowledge that Latin cultures tended to view schedules and appointments differently.  I had no idea how deeply-rooted and fundamentally different each culture's view of time really is.  I still can't totally wrap my brain around it.  To have a completely different view of something as basic as the essence of time seems unfathomable.  But however difficult it is for me to imagine not completing an important task on-time because of a long chat with a neighbor over a cup of coffee, it would be equally unthinkable for many Hondurans to turn their backs on something as important as an enjoyable discussion with a friend in order to finish an inconsequential task that can always be done later.  Each view of time certainly has its pros and cons.  And while I do think we should be good stewards of our time and "seize the day," I think we could benefit from learning some lessons from this different perspective.  Whenever I have an unexpected "delay" or "interruption", I usually think something like, "What else could I be doing right now?" or "If I wasn't having to wait here or be interrupted like this, there's no telling what I would be accomplishing!"  The truth is, I would probably be happier and have better relationships if, instead of focusing on what else I could be doing, I was just present wherever I found myself.  To quote John Lennon, "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."  The fact is, wherever I am, that's where I am and I'm not somewhere else doing something different.  It could be that right now I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be.  Maybe that's part of "making the most of every opportunity".


bd

2 comments:

  1. so true! that is so challenging to me! thanks for sharing! praying for you guys

    ReplyDelete