Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Awareness

I'll never forget one of the first nights I ever spent outside the United States. I was walking to a park in London to enjoy some fresh bread and cheese ('cause that's what Rick Steves said to do), and as I passed by an unfamiliar-looking house I saw a familiar-looking scene - a family around the table having dinner. It seems so simple now, but at the time it kind of blew my mind. "You mean this family leads an entire life here in England six hours ahead of when I live my life in Oklahoma?!" It was one of those important times in my development that I realized the world does not revolve around me. (Sadly, I still have to be reminded of this lesson at times.) That there are millions of people in millions of places around the world who have families and jobs and lives of their own that I am completely unaware of!
Each time one of these 'lightbulbs' goes off for me, I feel like my worldview gets a little broader, and I love it! It's one of of the main reasons I enjoy traveling - each new place I visit, especially if I get to know the people there, teaches me something about God or the world or myself or humankind. And while one can learn a lot in just a short period of time in a new place, the amount of time Bart and I are blessed to spend in Honduras is affording us such a rich experience. I love walking the streets and going into the homes of our fellow church members. It's one thing to see them on Sundays at the church building, but there is a totally different level of awareness of their lives and struggles when you've sat in their living rooms and chatted a while.
I also love learning about the backgrounds of the students we work with at Baxter and of the kids and staff we work with at the boys' home. Upon meeting them I make the mistake of assuming they've all lived lives like mine: supportive parents, access to education, surrounded by opportunities for growth. So when I learn the truth about their past struggles and the obstacles they've had to overcome, I always walk away in awe of their resourcefulness and heart.
And I guess, to me, the most valuable part of an increased awareness is that the lessons I learn can inform the way I live. In place of entitlement, gratefulness. In place of selfishness, generosity.


md

No comments:

Post a Comment