Saturday, November 13, 2010

Security

A very common sight in Tegucigalpa is someone selling goods along the roadside or at street intersections. Among the vendors’ goods are: every kind of fruit you can imagine, cell phone covers, cell phone chargers, kites, dinner rolls, pieces of cloth for washing your car, steering wheel covers, gum, cotton candy, brooms, trash cans, and the list could go on.
One day upon seeing several vendors, I peppered Bart with questions. How much do you think they make in a day? Do you think that’s their only source of income? What if they don’t make enough on a particular day...What do they do that day to feed their families?
In the US many of us enjoy a privileged lifestyle: Three meals a day, 7 days a week; safe homes in safe neighborhoods; health insurance, life insurance, car insurance, homeowners insurance...
But - just as the ‘discomfort’ from yesterday’s post can have hidden blessings for us - I believe a lack of (what we define as) ‘security’ may hold something beneficial for us. 
How would my reliance on God transform if I really had to trust Him for my daily bread? And what would that do to my view of self? and the Pride in self I currently feel entitled to take?
I’ll probably never know what it’s like to live a life of poverty, but I hope I can somehow develop the humble countenance and grateful spirit that is fitting for a child of God.
md

2 comments:

  1. It's hard for me to even imagine such a life. Do you have a hard time saying no to them, even if you have no desire for what they're selling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, Sammie!! Most of the time, I can say no. But just yesterday, these two cute little boys (probably brothers) approached me with homemade donuts for about 15 cents. I couldn't turn them down! (And the donut was delicious!)

    ReplyDelete