Monday, September 20, 2010

a suitcase and a trunk

According to the song "House of the Risin' Sun", "the only thing a gambler needs is a suitcase and a trunk." I guess the only thing a missionary needs is two suitcases and a carry-on.

For the past couple of months we have had a box in our house marked "want to take to hondu".  We, little by little, added things to the box we thought we would take with us.  The box soon filled up and the "want to take to hondu" box soon became the "want to take to hondu" pile, then, the "want to take to hondu" mound that took up some significant real estate in the living room.  We are in the process of going through our stuff for the third time, jettisoning a few more things.

I like to consider myself low maintenance, but packing up is proving more difficult than expected.  It's good for me, I think, to be forced to think about what I really need.  It's so easy to accumulate things without really thinking about how those things complicate your life.  I guess the turntable and Bob Dylan records will have to stay here.

bd

5 comments:

  1. Bet your iPod should fit somewhere! Safe travels guys...we love and will miss you AGAIN!!!!! You WILL make a difference! I'm adding you to my iPhone home screen because you're such a big deal! Skype with you soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can I borrow your turntable? I think I have room in my suitcase for it. ha. so excited you're going today!! can't wait to skype on location soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel thanks for the text that you had just cat napped at your gate in Houston. I will look forward to your call when you land in less than 2 hours. I'm 5 hours away from both my kids now, Ryan by car and Mel by plane. As Dudley keeps saying...it's closer than Oregon! We are so very proud of you guys and know you will bless so many lives while in Honduras as well as ours back here in the states. Thank goodness for Skype and email! Love ya'll! Ryan was right, miss you AGAIN!!! Ryan...you bought that webcam yet? And jd, we have Bart's turntable at our house. Hee hee. Bart and Mel, think you will come back with a Honduran accent? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just heard from Mel and she and Bart had a great flight to Honduras and were having lunch. They will email and/or blog when time allows. Thank you for all your prayers and good thoughts on their behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad they made it safely! I've added them to the skype contacts--looking to chatting when times allows...

    Best, Matt Dowling

    ReplyDelete